Communication Skills, students need basic communication skills, specific speaking and listening skills, interpersonal and group communication skills, communication codes, and listening competencies that will help them succeed in future courses and on the job. Students taking this course will be able to:
- Understand effective human communication techniques and processes.
- Develop and practice human communication skills, including skills in verbal, nonverbal, listening, critical thinking, small group and public speaking.
- Analyze and assess effective human communication.
- To help student’s overcome his natural shyness and nervousness.
- Explain how self – image affects one’s feelings, attitudes and behaviour.
- To improve the four skills (Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing) of the Students;
- To provide a venue for the Students to practice and hone their communication skills;
- Understanding self and others – Attitude Awareness and Apply communication techniques. Describe the steps in preparing presentation.
- To introduce the Students to the sound system of English language (vowel, consonants…)
- To provide the Students with common vocabulary (verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs…) and basic grammar (tenses, voices….) of English;
- Develop an all-round personality with a mature outlook while conversing with others
- Perform effectively thereby enhancing the brand image of the college.
- Identify the behavioural manifestations of self-discipline.
- Introduction to Communication - Basic Communication Skills, Recognize when it is appropriate to communicate, Select the most appropriate and effective media for communicating, Determine the purpose of oral discourse, State ideas clearly, Communicate ethically, Accept responsibility for his/her communication behavior, Structure a message for effectiveness with in introduction - main points - useful transitions - and a conclusion, Accomplish communication goals, Employ vocal variety in rate, pitch and intensity, Articulate clearly, Employ language appropriate to the designated audience, Recognize the needs and concerns of a culturally diverse society, Recognize and explain the consequences of ethnocentrism, stereotypes, prejudice and bigotry, Demonstrate nonverbal behavior that supports the verbal message, Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills for various contexts, Display self-awareness as a communicator
- Communication Skills - Flow of Communication, Listening, Barriers of Communication, How to overcome barriers of communication, Build oratory skills, Difference between verbal & non-verbal communication, Overcoming roadblocks of communication, Role of listening, understanding & feedback, Apply the components of verbal communication to their speech, Respond to non-verbal cues in communication, Differentiate between styles of communication, Appreciate the way conversations can be made to work towards a win-win situation by using positive and assertive means of communication.
- Speech Communication Skills - Choose and narrow a topic, Adapt to chances in audience characteristics, Demonstrate credibility, Identify facts, issues and problems relevant to the topic, Support arguments with relevant and adequate evidence, Develop messages that influence attitudes - behaviors - and actions, Describe or express feelings to others when appropriate.
- Interpersonal and Group Communication Skills - Recognize when another does not understand their message, Identify and manage misunderstandings, Recognize when it is appropriate to speak, Feel and convey empathy towards others, Manage conflict, Maintain conversations by taking turns - managing interaction - reciprocal conversation - and selfdisclosure, Allow others to express different views, Effectively assert his/her views, Ask questions effectively, Listen attentively to questions and comments from other communicators, Answer questions concisely and to the point or issue, Be open-minded about another’s point of view, Work collaboratively as a team member, Keep group discussions relevant and focused, Value of win-win situation, Communicate effectively with assertion, Building rapport with people.
- Listening Competencies -
Display literal listening competencies: Recognize main ideas - Identify supporting details - Recognize explicit relationships among ideas - Recall basic ideas and details - Attend with an open mind.
Display critical comprehension competencies: Attend with an open mind - Perceive the speaker’s purpose and organization of ideas and information - Discriminate between statements of fact and statements of opinion - Distinguish between emotional and logical arguments - Detect bias and prejudice - Recognize the speaker’s attitude - Synthesize and evaluate by drawing logical inferences and conclusions - Recall implications and arguments - Recognize discrepancies between the speaker’s verbal and nonverbal messages - Employ active listening techniques when appropriate.
- Personality Grooming - Inner Personality Development, Role of motivation & body language, Filling the GAP- Grooming, Attitude, Personality.
- Option 1: 30 Hours i.e., 5 day Workshop
- Option 2: 48 Hours i.e., 8 Days Workshop (for Optimum Result)