There’s a set of skills that’s required in both contexts, college requires that you master more challenging study skills, including understanding and analysing complex academic material, time management, and stress management. In addition, you'll need to learn to become more of an independent student, as your teacher-based support system is usually less available in the higher levels of education.
These skills are not only useful for those students in high school and those who are college bound; in fact, many career paths will expect you to have mastered these skills to be an efficient and productive employee.
Students will learn:
- Organizing study materials and knowing schedules for classes.
- Completing homework, essays, and projects without reminders or involvement from parents, teachers.
- Accepting responsibility and consequences for actions (ex. setting goal, managing time) and learning how to plan for contingencies.
- Attending educational planning meetings.
- Balancing educational and recreational computer use
- Capsule 1: Advanced Study Skills - Getting Organised to Study - Finding Time to Study - Sources of Information for Study - Styles of Writing - Effective Reading - Critical Reading and Reading Strategies - Note-Taking (Note-Taking for Verbal Exchanges and Note-Taking for Reading.) - Revision Skills
- Capsule 2: Writing skills - Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation for assignment writing. Gender Neutral Writing and Clichés to Avoid useful.
- Capsule 3: Interpersonal Skills - Listening Skills, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Questioning and Types of Questions, Verbal Communication and Effective Speaking.
- Capsule 4: Time Management - Pick Your Moment - Don’t Procrastinate, but Do Ask Why You’re Tempted - Don’t Try To Multi-task - Stay Calm and Keep Things In Perspective.
- Capsule 5: Personal Skills: Some Tools and Techniques from NLP - Goal Setting, Self-Discipline, Building Confidence and Self-Esteem, Tips for Dealing with Stress, Relaxation Techniques, and Self-Motivation.
- Capsule 6: Emotional Intelligence - Self Awareness - Self Regulation - Motivation - Empathy - Social Skills.
- 30 Hours i.e., 5 day Workshop